Im blogging after a long while. So fee a bit rusty doing this. So going to keep it short and picturesque.
It was my dad's birthday last month. He loves mango. He knows everything about all kinds of mangoes. I thought to surprise him with my version of a mango cheesecake. Enough said!
Here is the recipe to try out in the next mango season. Its quite marvellous - rich, creamy and decadently "mangoey" with the slight saltiness of the cream cheese. Truly a delight, so easy that its a must try.
- 300gm packet or double packet of Marie biscuit
- 1/2 cup Pecans/ walnuts (whatever you have at hand)
- 150 gms of melted butter (Amul is fine)
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 400 gms of cheesecake
- 1 cup Sugar
- 4 whole Eggs
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream or yogurt
- 200 gms of pureed mango (same as topping)
- Slice thin and long 4 Alphonso mangos (preferably)
- Preheat oven to 175 C.
- Place the Marie biscuits and pecans into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until mixture becomes crumbs. You can also place in a ziplock bag and use a rolling pin. But a food processor gives you that talcom powder consistency
- Add melted butter and vanilla and mix with your hands till combined.
- Pour into a 9-inch springform pan and press crumbs into the bottom of the pan. You can use a flat glass to do this as shown in the photo below.
- For the filling, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. This is a super important step. The trick to light & creamy cheesecake fillings is how well the eggs are beaten and incorporated in the creamcheese.
- Add sour cream and mix again.
- Finally mix in the pureed mango. This will give the cheesecake filling a mangoey flavour and that lovely light mango colour.
- Pour mixture into crust, smooth the top, and bake for 1 hour.
- Turn off oven and open door and allow to sit in the oven with the door opened for 15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
- For the topping, slice thin and long pieces of mango. Arrange the pieces in a concentric manner creating a rosette. Start from the outer edge and work your way in ward.
- Cover and serve chilled.
Cos mangoes and summer remind me of this song from so long ago. Enjoy this!